6.07.2011

An S for a J


One of my favorite books of all time is definitely Little Woman by Luisa M. Alcott, I read it when I was so young and when I watch the movie back then I felt in love with it even more.
I was visiting my mother for the weekend and suddenly I turned on the T.V. and there it was (I don't watch T.V. ever because I don't have cable at my house) and I was just so happy and captivated with the movie that I had to stop doing what I was doing and I sat down and me and my mother watch it remembering the soft and realistic romances we read when we were little. It had me thinking after it ended of how this book could have possibly shaped me as the person I am today... I didn't even remember it existed, by that I mean that there are other movies and books I remember almost everyday (even movies that probably came out because of this book, think of the Virgin Suicides) but now that I am aware and I think of it, I really feel that this book might have shaped the way I see love, the way I think a woman should be.
I was always a fan of Jo March, I too felt that I didn't fit anywhere and now I am a grown "independent" woman I wonder how much of that heroin must have been sleeping with in me without me even knowing. We try so hard us women, we don't want to be the silent obedient little Amy, we fight we struggle we want to be our own heroin, but in the end it is so hard being strong, what are we fighting against? Do we even know? I can say that it couldn't have been a better time for me to remember the little woman inside me and now I wonder if what I long for in love and life is even realistic or just a fairytale I read when I was a girl.
Source herehere and here

No comments: